Monday, January 23, 2012

Why don't men like book clubs?

Our book club has one man (part of a couple) in it. Do men not like to read or just don't want to be part of a club. It would just be more interesting with men to add to the discussions. Its not the type of books we read because we read books by any author that is suggested male or female. Our book club is the branch library club.Why don't men like book clubs?
I would have to agree with Dale - in our society we do associate literature with women. I did my bachelors in English. Every time I would take a class about novels it would be stocked full of women with one or two men in the class. I personally do not go to book clubs, but my wife does. I would not go to them since she has told me 80% of the talk is not about the book and the actual analysis of the book is more "how does this relate to my life experience" rather than using actual literary theory.
No offence but book clubs are not really designed for men. Sitting down with cups of teas and biscuits having a talk about books and what revelations you've discovered- sounds like an excuse for a mother's meeting to me.Why don't men like book clubs?
I think that would be an over generalized statement. I know some men who are in book clubs and I know many who are avid readers. Having said that, our culture tends to equate reading with girls or women, more than boys or men.
Its Book~

i dont know what other dudes will say..

but...to me.....its...Boringgggggggg....

i wanna c some action...some kickin ***...

not....once upon a time....^_______^Why don't men like book clubs?
Well its not so much that they don't like to read as much as they don't have the imaginative ability to take that book and turn it into something they could do or use and also some men just simply don't have reading abilities i know people that can't even read a child's book out loud because they really didn't read when they were younger or just didn't take interest in reading
All the men I've ever been with LOVE to read (or I wouldn't have been with them, to be sure). My husband reads very fast and can rip through a thick book in two days of riding the bus to and from the office. He devours books. We have to go to the local used book store several times a week to keep him stocked up with new things to read and to sell off his old books so we don't run out of room. But he'd probably never join a book club. I think it's because he's turned off by the idea of analyzing the things he reads in the company of other people. Book clubs are very "talky" and that kind of thing usually appeals to women more than to men.
there are much better stories and articles in playboy - lol
I don't see any connection between reading and women. Maybe it is just the circles I hang out in but my male friends read more than my female friends, as do I myself (I'm a guy).



What we don't do is sit around and chat about the books we read, at least not in the form of a book club. Personally I want to read my books at my own pace, in my own order, and I do not need the input of others to understand most books.



So I say it is the "book club" thing, not the "book" thing.
  • edelbrock
  • oil change
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment